Managing Counseling Relationships
For this assignment, complete the following:
Review the Georgia state laws and regulations relating to the practice of counseling for school counseling. These requirements help define the unique aspects of the relationship between counselors and the clients and student served.
· Describe how these state legal standards help guide counselors to establish ethical relationships with clients and students through specific requirements (for example, informed consent, managing boundaries, and payment for services).
· Identify any state requirements specific to distance counseling and the impact upon the counseling profession.
· Describe how to communicate these requirements for diverse populations who may not understand professional jargon with a specific example related to distance counseling.
· Cite specific state laws for Georgia. If your state defers to the 2014 ACA Code of Ethics on these topics, you may also cite the ACA code after identifying where you state addresses the code.
Ethical standards (included in ACA, AMHCA, ASCA, and NBCC ethical codes) help to guide the relationship between counselors, and clients and students. Review the case examples below and describe specific ethical standards and any relevant legal standards that guide counselors in your specialization to manage the relationship for the scenarios below.
School Counseling learners, address these two:
1. Your school is establishing a new page on the school website to combat cyber-bullying. In addition to educational materials, a staff member proposes that there will be a link to open a chatbox that the school counselors will monitor. You recognize that this unsecured mode of communication will pose many ethical challenges. Explain this to the principal and explain how another option, such as secure email, may be more appropriate.
2. A student, Daryn, is returning to school after a brief detention due to charges associated with selling drugs. You have an established relationship with Daryn and will continue to meet regularly. Daryn is on probation and the probation officer has reached out to request that you confirm attendance records and any disciplinary issues at school. How will you manage your relationship with Daryn and address the probation officer’s request?
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
· Written communication: Develop accurate written communication and thoughts that convey the overall goals of the assignment and do not detract from the overall message. Your paper should demonstrate graduate-level writing skills.
· References: Your reference list must include APA-approved links to state resources, and at least two peer-reviewed sources. You must use current APA style to list your references. Refer to the APA Style and Format for more information.
· Number of pages: The length of your paper should be 4–6 double-spaced pages. Note: Page count does not include cover page or references.
· Formatting: Use current APA formatting, including correct in-text citations, proper punctuation, double-spacing throughout, proper headings and subheadings, no skipped lines before headings and subheadings, proper paragraph and block indentation, no bolding, and no bullets. Refer to the APA Style and Format for more information.